Wednesday, July 30, 2008
Tuesday, July 29, 2008
It's a good thing. No, really it is. In a lot of ways. But it's hard, too. Salem, in one sense, is kind of like going home...we spent so many years there. Met, married, had 2 of our 3 children there, it's so familiar there, my parents are back there, still have good friends there. AND Billy now has a job that he loves there! I can't quite tell you what this does for my heart, to have my husband come home from work and when asked how his day was, he responds with, "It was awesome!" It's such a huge relief. There's more to that part of the story, but that would be the long version.
But, quite literally, it's taken these 3 years of living in Central Oregon to really start to feel rooted. We came over knowing no one except our friends the Braatens. (Thank you Lord for them!) We searched and searched for a church family and finally found that perfect one (ok, we KNOW it's not perfect, but we absolutely LOVE it)! After about 2 years we started to develop some other relationships that since have skyrocketed into some very close friends and have become huge blessings in our lives. So what I'm proposing is that you all (and you know who you are:)) just move too! Thanks, that would be grand. ;) I love you all and will miss you intensely! But you WILL NOT FORGET US! You hear me? ...and when winter or should we say "rainy time" comes we'll be knockin' down your doors saying, "Surprise! We're here 'till next season!"
Thursday, July 24, 2008
Monday, July 21, 2008
Several of the big "boys" decided to get in on the action of the rope swing:)
And the little boys couldn't be left out!
(and his mama clutching for him:))
And not to be out-done...one of the few courageous females...my friend Amanda!
You go girl! And so graceful too!
Will and one of his best buds, Joey(who was also baptized!) hangin' out on the floaty.
My little cutie. I seriously don't even know how he's standing, he was soooooo tired!
Emma and her "shy" pose! (thanks Kristin! I stole this one from your slideshow!)At the end of the day, we were all hot, sweaty, thirsty, and exhausted, but it was well worth it!
So, Will, having made the decision to ask Jesus to live in his heart and life, believing that Jesus died for his sins once for all, was buried and rose again on the 3rd day, believing that it's not by anything man can do, was saved at the age of 4. And at the age of 6 decided to, in obedience, be baptized, ...the symbolism of our Salvation and an outward demonstration of our committment to our Savior.
...and Billy had the privilege of being a part of it. ahhhh. The joy on that face!
Tuesday, July 8, 2008
Emma: I'm going to be a mama when I get big.
Emma: And I'm going to marry Will.
Will: Emma! (said with exasperation) Brothers and sisters can't get married. My thoughts: (well..maybe in Prineville...oops, did I say that?)
Emma: Well, I'll marry Horris and Clive then.
Us: You can only marry one person, babes.
Will: You should marry Horris.
Us: Why Horris?
Will: 'Cause I still want to be friends with Clive!
Monday, July 7, 2008
Lincoln has a fascination with long, narrow objects.:) Seriously! Pens, whistles, flutes, wands, pool noodles...he'll carry them around everywhere he goes!
Will and Emma earlier in the day at the city park.
Wednesday, July 2, 2008
We all do it. It needs to be done. It just needs to be done differently than I've been doing it for the past several (7?) years. Like any struggle, I've gone through highs and lows. After Will was born I lost 25 lbs and should have kept going, but "I" got in the way and then I became pregnant with Emma. And the rest is history. So it's time. I'm done having babies. I'm done making excuses.
I found a great article a few blogs removed: 13 Things to Avoid When Changing Habits So...here's MY plan...
1) I'm not taking on more than 1 habit this time. - In the past, I've said I need to start eating healthier, exercising, etc., etc. all at once and it's just too overwhelming. So for now it's just the one: my eating habit.
2)I'm committing it in writing. - Not just on this blog, but in my home where it's visible to me all the time.
3)I'm fully committed. - That means, my healthy eating is my family's healthy eating. No more "oh, I'll just buy this package of cookies for the kids as a little treat." and then "how many of these did THEY actually eat." And by blogging about it (the craziest thing I've ever done! What was I thinking!) I'm being held accountable because the whole world is watching. Ok, my little world, but still! How embarrassing!
I won't list all the points, but here are a few more.
5) Motivation. - My motivation...I want to be healthy (and lose lots of weight, of course:)) I'm tired of not following through with this commitment. I want to feel confident. I want more energy for my kids. I think it will help my outlook/attitude. I think, for me anyway, it will help me to be a better mom and wife. I'll get to buy some new clothes.:) And I'll be more likely to want to attend my 10 year college reunion coming up this September.:)
6) Obstacles - I recognize that every day will bring obstacles so I need to have a plan. Company, eating out, vacation, going over to other's homes, lack of money for healthy food (this one still gets me!) ...still working on my plans.
7) I'm blogging and logging. - Ok, this is where it gets serious, seriously scary anyway! I'm going to log my daily food intake. AAAHHHH. How's that for accountability???
9) Knowing my triggers. - I've known these for a long time, so for me it's setting my mind to not letting those triggers overtake me. Stress, comfort, boredom.
13) Don't quit! - Sometimes when I've decided to "make the commitment" and I end up falling off the bandwagon, I just end up giving up.
And while the article did not list this last one, I feel it's the most important thing for me to keep in mind.
14) I CAN go to God with this. NOTHING is too small or silly to entrust to our Lord. He WILL help me. I need to stop sinning by going to food in times of stress or worry and start going to Him.
Well, there you have it. And thanks, Amanda, for the spark that got this fire going.
And here's the before picture (hopefully). And for those of you that know me really well, you know I do NOT like full body pictures of myself, so this is a first! Here's to Happy Healthy Eating!!
ok...here I go, I can do it. Hit "publish post". Hit "publish post". Is my mouse working properly?? Cathy, come on. NO MORE EXCUSES. (eyes closed, holding my breath, pushing the button)
Tuesday, July 1, 2008
Saturday we left early, to beat the heat, for some good family fun and excercise.
"Monkey Face" at Smith Rock - taken on a different day and more difficult hike than we can take Emma on.The view from the top.