Wednesday, November 26, 2008

The Act of Thankfulness

When deciding what to write for my "Thanksgiving post", immediately I, of course, started thinking about the list of things I'm thankful for in my life. I realized that I could probably sit here all day and add line after line of those things. But then I started thinking that while it's very important to think specifically about everything we're thankful FOR and speak it to God, and in fact God tells us to do this in His word (In everything give thanks; for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus. 1 Thes. 5:18) this Thanksgiving I wanted to reflect on the things that I can do to SHOW my thankfulness to my God. Because giving thanks isn't just about saying the words, but about acting it out in our lives...everyday. It's in how we speak to others in kindness, how we show them we love them in the way we know they need it (even when it's not returned), our attitude when faced with challenges and trials, serving others, serving our church, showing grace, being good stewards of what we've been given, and countless other ways. We tell our kids all the time that a change of attitude is not just on your face, it has to be a change of heart attitude, and the same goes for us. So...Lord, let me not just speak thanks and show it on my face, but believe it in my heart and actively LIVE IT.

"Therefore, since we are receiving a kingdom that cannot be shaken, let us be thankful, and so worship God acceptably with reverence and awe.." Hebrews 12:28

"The Lord is my strength and my shield; My heart trusts in Him, and I am helped; Therefore, my heart exults, and with my song I shall thank Him." Psalm 28:7

"Oh give thanks to the Lord, for He is good, for His loving kindness is everlasting." Psalm 107:1

"Oh give thanks to the Lord, call upon His name; Make known His deeds among the peoples. Sing to Him, sing praises to Him; Speak of all His wonders." 1 Chron. 16:8,9

All that being said...:)

I'll leave you with one of the many things I'm incredibly grateful for!

God's provision.

At a time in our lives when we're not sure how we'll buy groceries from week to week, God has used many separate situations to provide for us in this way...and we're SO undeserving and humbled. Now it's our turn to show Him our thanks!

2 comments:

Brandi said...

Thank you for this post and reminding us that we should be thankful for all of the provisions that God provides for us. One good thing that I have seen from this failing economy is a change in attitude. People have changed from an attitude of wanting more to simply being grateful for the small things (groceries on the table, gas in their cars, their home, heat, the blessings of family and friends, the list could go on and on!)

Yule {b}Log said...

When I count my blessings, I count you twice.