Friday, February 20, 2009

Not So Urgent Care

In my last post I mentioned that life happened. You all know what I mean, right?

Here's me with my day all planned out, pluggin' along on my To Do List and then life happens. Change of course. 180 degree turn. Bump in the road. And the worst part about it? It involved my baby getting hurt. OK. OK. It could have been a lot worse, but still, it required a couple of stitches. My hubs and I kept saying it was only a matter of time before we ended up down at the hospital with this one. Well, it wasn't the hospital, but it was Urgent Care, because I figured he wasn't gushing blood, he was calm, I was calm (amazing, right?), and I thought it would be a quicker in and out then going to the emergency room with it's life or death situations in priority ahead of us (understandably, of course).

5 HOURS LATER....we were on our way home.

Let's review the definition of "urgent", shall we?
URGENT: Immediate or speedy action or attention

I think you might know where I'm going with this.....

Urgent Care in this household has been dubbed "Not-So Urgent Care". Because if you're in need of urgent care, do NOT go there.

Picture me and Lincs sitting in a waiting room, surrounded by people with the flu, sucking in every imaginable germ while we waited for 2 hours and 20 minutes to be seen. The "Hallelujah Chorus" was audible when, at last, our name was called. But it soon became a distant memory when we then went on to wait in our room for 1 hour before we ever saw hide or hair of a doctor. Then the rest of the "procedure" took another hour+ to be finished. BUT the nurses were really nice. That should make up for it, right? Well, it probably did save me from completely lashing out in frustration. Oh, and did I mention that my phone died 30 minutes into this grand adventure? My bad. (A special shout out, by the way, to my friend, Rhonda, who picked Emma up from preschool and watched her for the next 3 1/2 hours and to the hubs for leaving work to then go get Will from school and pick up Emma.)

On a positive note, it wasn't a horrible injury, he's not in pain, and Lincoln was so good and a pretty tough guy all around. Even if he was exhausted after our day....

And our hope, is that he might have learned his lesson about playing around on the dining room chairs....

(Skip ahead to the following day.)

Nope. He sure didn't. Apparently, he's still boy.

And I feel a cold coming on (thanks to the lobby phone, I'm sure).:)


Alyssa and Ron said...

Poor baby! Poor you! I have been in those same shoes. And ick after as well. Ewwie! Those places always are so "germ fested". (Or seem to be. ;)
Glad he is feeling better.

runninggal said...

Oh Cathy! I felt for you as I read this - 5 1/2 hours sounds like a lifetime in a place like urgent care. It'll be a fun story to tell Lincoln as he grows up! All boy.

Hope you aren't getting sick again. That's no fun.


Basking in the Son said...

Poor little guy!! Poor Mama too!

Nikki said...

oh, my poor Lincs! Poor precious baby! His first big major boo-boo! And he sounds like he's handling it like a champ! Bravo to you for holding it all together. You are mighty woman! Give him a hug and cuddle-squeeze (as Nate calls it) for me.

Brandi said...

What a terrible experience! But, you made me laugh when you said that you could hear the choir sing when they finally called your name! I thought I was the only one who felt like that!!
I'm glad he is okay and I hope you feel better soon!!

Trina said...

Oh, poor little guy! And I know how it is to spend half the day waiting to have your youngin looked at. That happened to us when Rayna had to get that splinter out.

I'm glad it wasn't more serious! Why do boys have to be so adventurous!? I am really surprised we haven't had to rush ours to the ER yet. He loves to jump off of stuff. lol